Eating out can be pretty expensive especially if you want delicious food that is high in quality and flavor. It can get even more so if you and your family or friends want to try a foreign cuisine such as Indian, Japanese, or Italian.
One particular cuisine that is currently getting a lot of attention recently, though, is Greek cuisine, due to its colorful recipes and focus on natural ingredients that can help improve the overall health of individuals. One staple of Greek cuisine is known as the Gyro Seasoning mix.
But what is so special about this mix and why do you need to know how to make a homemade version of this mix? In this article, we look at what a Gyro seasoning mix is, how to make it from the comfort of your own home, and how or where to use this special Greek seasoning. Read on to find out!
Gyro Seasoning: A Brief Introduction
Gyro is roughly equivalent to saying Greek sauce or seasoning and it can be used on almost any dish such as veggies, potatoes, chicken, beef, and fish. Gyro seasoning mixes are tasty and flavorful but unfortunately, they can also be hard to come by since a regular kitchen does not have this Greek Seasoning as one of its staples.
Fortunately, there is a way to enjoy this special Greek seasoning without having to rush to the grocery store and that is by making your own gyro seasoning mix.
How to make Homemade Greek Seasoning
To make homemade Greek seasoning, you will need the following ingredients:
- Nutmeg- A quarter (¼) teaspoon, ground
- Cinnamon- A quarter (¼) teaspoon, ground
- Rosemary- One (1) teaspoon, dried
- Thyme- One (1) teaspoon, dried
- Salt- One and one half (1 ½) Teaspoons
- Parsley Flakes- Two (2) teaspoons
- Ground Black pepper- Two (2) teaspoons
- Onion Powder- One (1) tablespoon
- Smoked paprika powder- One and one half (1 ½) tablespoons
- Garlic Powder- One and one half (1 ½) tablespoons
- Dried oregano- One and one half (1 ½) tablespoons
- Dried mushrooms- Two (2) to three (3) pieces (optional)
To prepare the Greek seasoning mix, follow the steps outlined below:
- For people who choose to add mushrooms into their mix, have the mushrooms ground into powder first using a blender, grinder, or food processor?
- Combine all the ingredients with the ground mushroom and grind all ingredients some more until all items are finely ground or chopped.
- Transfer the seasoning mix into a jar or container before labeling it.
Preparing this special mix is literally as simple as one, two, and three if you follow the said steps listed above.
How can this Greek or Gyro Seasoning Mix Used?
Due to the rich taste Greek seasoning mixes can provide because of its varied ingredients, people consider them as kitchen timesavers. They can provide a varied mix of flavors with just one application.
This is particularly important especially for people who are adventurous in terms of their dining experience and for those who do not want the same bland taste for their food.
Some of the possible things you can do with this Gyro Seasoning mix include:
- Grilled meats and chicken gyros- Before grilling meats, this blend of Greek spice and seasonings may be used to enhance the flavor of the meat. For those just making a gyro, seasoning their meats, or those making souvlaki, this can help individuals come up with the taste they prefer and help them better plan the side dishes to partner with their main dish.
- Salad dressings- Putting some seasoning mixes into your vinegar before whisking and drizzling into dishes can help give that dish some extra flavor and layer of sophistication. This can be an excellent (and even healthier) substitute to dressings that are milk-based and creamy.
- Vegetable dips- Greek yogurt and sour cream dips can be enhanced further with some added gyro or Greek seasoning together with some lemon squeeze for a quick and convenient dip for your veggies such as cucumbers and carrots.
- Burgers- Feta, kalamata olives, and greek seasoning can be combined with some meat for a grilled burger classic with a refreshing new twist.
- Hummus- Traditional hummus can be improved or spiced up with some Greek seasoning thrown in before being sprinkled with some olive prior to being served to guests.
- Oven-fried potatoes- People across the globe love potato wedges and to add some much-needed kick the said wedges, one can toss these potatoes into some oil and combined with some Greek spice. These should then be baked until they are ready to be served. Definitely a crowd favorite in most gatherings.
- Stuffed Peppers- Adding some Greek seasoning to some rice can give classic baked peppers an extra notch of flavor and will definitely up the level of Mediterranean goodness for the said food items. To make these stuffed peppers, one will need the following ingredients:
- Pine nuts- three (3) tablespoons
- Olive oil- two (2) tablespoons
- Green Onions- four (4), diced
- Feta cheese- 1/3 cup
- Cooked white beans- 1/2 cup
- Minced Garlic- two (2) cloves
- Sun-dried tomatoes- 1/4 cup
- Sweet bell peppers- Four (4)
- Greek Seasoning spice blend- 1 ½ teaspoon
- Fragrant brown or white rice- One (1) cup.
To do this recipe (stuffed peppers), the rice needs to be rinsed until the clear water is observed. Add the right amount of water (depending on the rice) and then add in some Greek seasoning blend.
The rice should then be cooked until it is tender using either a rice cooker or stove. Cut the top portion of the bell peppers while the oven is pre-heat. Then, you should have the garlic and tomatoes blended until a paste is formed.
Combine all the ingredients and scoop the mixture into the bell pepper (with seeds removed). Top these bell peppers with some cheese and place them on top of a baking dish standing up. Bake them until the cheese turns a color that is golden brown. Take out from the oven, top with some pine nuts before serving warm.