Cranberry juice is a popular beverage during holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving. But have you heard about cranberry juice detox? How can cranberry juice help in the detoxification of our body? In this article, we will look at the benefits of cranberry juice and how it can actually help the detoxify the body.
Cranberry Juice: Is It Healthy and Appropriate?
Cranberries are red berries that are sweet and extremely nutritious. Cranberries are considered one of the natural superfoods that can provide the body with numerous antioxidants and nutrients. This superfood has been shown to help individuals address the body’s inflammatory response and can also enhance a person’s immune system.
Sailors used to bring cranberries to fight off the medical condition called scurvy in the 18th century. American Indians on the other hand, were known to enjoy a sweet cooked syrup based on the cranberry fruit which may have been the basis for what is now known as cranberry sauce. Cranberries are also sometimes called “bounce berries” as they have a tendency to bounce once they are ripe and ready for consumption.
Cranberry juice is considered as a superfood and this is all for good reason. As mentioned earlier, it is loaded with valuable nutrients that are considered beneficial to an individual’s overall health. One (1) cup or serving of cranberry juice contains significant amounts of fats, proteins, fiber, carbohydrates, Selenium, Zinc, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Folate, Vitamins b1, b2, b3, Potassium, Copper, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C.
Cranberry Juice Detox
The aforementioned nutrients all contribute to the detoxifying effect of Cranberry Juice and the detoxification process takes a very specific route. Cranberry Juice Detoxification is a rather manageable and easily followed process. There is no prescribed length of time for a cranberry detox to achieve the desired effects of detoxification. However, experts recommend that the said detox be conducted from two (2) to three (3) weeks. The detox will require individuals to take in three (3) glasses of cranberry juice before every meal which are breakfast in the morning, lunch at noon, and dinner in the late afternoon or evening.
However, it is important for individuals wanting to undergo the cranberry detox to follow a specific diet to ensure the optimal effects of the abovementioned detox. Individuals are encouraged to consume food items such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, fruits, seeds, whole grains that are gluten-free and other organic products such as brown rice and quinoa. In addition, all processed food items should also be avoided to ensure that the benefits of the cranberry detox can fully be reaped by the individuals.
How Can Cranberry Juice Effectively Cleanse The Toxins From Our Liver?
With all the nutrients and beneficial health benefits present in cranberries, it is no longer surprising that it can effectively cleanse and help our bodies achieve improved health and quality of life. In fact, it has been proven that cranberry juice can help improve the functions of the urinary tract, bladder, and kidneys. Most importantly though, is the fact that cranberry juice can help detoxify our livers to further improve our bodies’ detoxification mechanisms. This is because cranberries contain flavonoids that can help the liver stay protected from harmful toxins. Cranberries have also been shown to promote iron-chelation which can in turn, further protect the liver and increase the detoxification capabilities of the liver. Cranberry juice is highly effective in detoxifying our livers because of the following:
- Cranberries contain increased amounts of Vitamin C: Cranberries contain a whopping 23.5 milligrams (23 mg) of Vitamin C. Sometimes referred to as Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C can help reduced and minimize bile which can help the liver more efficiently metabolize excess amounts of fats in the body.
- Cranberries contain glutathione: Glutathione is an important antioxidant that the body requires to maintain healthy cells and help the liver in detoxifying our bodies. Both Glutathione and Vitamin C can work together to boost the body’s detoxification processes.
- Cranberries can help protect against Free Radicals: Free radicals cause a plethora of different illnesses such as tumors, cancers, and other degenerative diseases. Due to the numerous anti-oxidants present in cranberries, the cranberry detox can greatly help our livers in cleansing or detoxifying our bodies.
- Cranberries can help promote chelation: The Proanthocyanidins present in cranberries can help in the process of chelation which means that these antioxidants in cranberries have been shown to remove harmful drugs and metals from the body by binding with them before eventually having them excreted from the body.
What are the other Health Benefits of the Cranberry Detoxification?
Aside from the detoxifying properties of cranberries, the cranberry detox program can offer other health benefits to individuals who are willing to give it a try. Listed below are some of the other health benefits:
- Cranberries can help fight Urinary Tract Infections (UTI): Cranberry juice is popularly associated with fighting off the UTIs or urinary tract infections. Proanthocyanidins can make it difficult for bacteria and other harmful organisms to stick to the urinary tract of individuals which results in decreased chances of contracting UTIs.
- Cranberries can help improve heart health and decrease the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases: Due to cranberries’ anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, this superfood can help the body reduce the chances of developing certain cardiovascular-related illnesses. The regular consumption of cranberry juice can significantly lower blood pressure levels which consequently helps minimize the risk of developing heart diseases and the possibility of stroke.