Shrimp Louie: What is it and what are the Ingredients?
Shrimp Louie is a type of salad that uses shrimp coming from San Francisco and developed in the early nineteen hundreds (the 1900s). The salad commonly has a base of green veggie and has toppings that consist of shrimp, tomato, hard-boiled eggs, avocados, and some preferred signature dressing (Thousand Island-like) sprinkled on top of the salad.
Some of the ingredients of Shrimp Louie include the following:
- Shrimps- People can opt to use shrimps that are raw and large for this salad dish. Individuals can purchase their needed shrimps at the local market or from the grocery’s frozen seafood aisle.
- Oil- individuals should also opt to use high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- Cajun Seasoning- A seasoning that is flavorful used in dishes coming from Louisiana. This can be found in the aisle for spices in grocery stores.
- Paprika- It is important that the plain variant of paprika be used. People who want something different though can go for paprika variants such as smoke sweet, Hungarian, and smoked hot. Just like cajun seasoning, it can be purchased from the aisle for spices in groceries.
- Mayo- This one should usually be available from the individual’s pantry or kitchen
- Ketchup- Similar to Mayo, ketchup should be available from the kitchen
- Sour cream- People can opt to use the low-fat variant or the full-fat one
- Lemon Juice- For the best flavor, it is best that it be squeezed straight from fresh lemons.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– This should be available from anyone’s pantry
- Brown Sugar- A regular item in the kitchen
- Worcester Sauce- This is a form of sauce that is fermented and can be purchased from the grocery aisle for condiments
- Lettuce- This salad requires romaine but it does not have to restrict the preference of individuals as any other form of lettuce will do. It is served on iceberg lettuce traditionally but the romaine variant, spring mix, and butter lettuce can also be used.
- Tomatoes- Individuals can have large tomatoes cut but it may be ideal to use cherry tomatoes.
- Avocado- It is best that avocados that are right to obtain a pressure that is gentle and firm.
- Hard-boiled eggs- These can be made in advance and can also be stored in the refrigerator for later use.
Instructions on how to Make this Salad
- Ensure that the avocados are prepared along with the hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes. The lettuce should also be washed before being set aside
- To prepare the dressing, use a blender or have it whisked manually combining the salt, Worcester sauce, paprika, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sour cream, ketchup, and mayo.
- To prepare the shrimp, ensure that the shrimp is properly thawed. Ensure the shrimp is peed if it was purchased with its shell. The shrimp should then be seasoned with some Cajun seasoning before sauteeing in olive oil for around four to five minutes until they turn opaque and pink.
- The salad should then be assembled by having the bed of lettuce laid down and the avocado arranged along with the hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, and avocados with the shrimp as toppings.
- The dressing should then be drizzled before being served.
Possible Health Benefit of Shrimps
Below are some of the positive health benefits of shrimps:
Shrimp is rich in nutrients but low in calories
Shrimp has a nutrition profile that is impressive. It only has 84 calories per 85 grams (about 3 ounces) and does not contain any carbohydrates. Around 90% of shrimp calories are from protein with the remaining ones coming from fat.
The said serving size can give individuals twenty different minerals and vitamins which includes selenium needs of individuals (about 50% of the daily requirement), a key mineral in ensuring heart health and reducing inflammation. It contains 7% RDI of magnesium, 9% RDI of zinc, 11% RDI of Niacin, 12% RDI of Phosphorus, 15% RDI of Iron, 21% RDI of vitamin B12, 48% RDI or Selenium, 18 grams of protein, and 84 calories.
Shrimp is also one of the most ideal sources of iodine among food items. Iodine is a critical mineral that a lot of individuals need more of and is required for the proper function of the thyroid and for a healthy brain. Shrimp also contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids along with astaxanthin antioxidants which can provide a number of benefits for health.
Shrimps also have cholesterol levels that are high
Shrimp is often perceived negatively due to its increased content for cholesterol. An 85 gram or 3 ounces serving of shrimp can provide 166 milligrams of cholesterol which is around 85 percent more cholesterol compared to other seafood items like tuna. A lot of individuals are wary of high cholesterol food items due to them thinking that it can also increase blood cholesterol levels and lead to cardiovascular disease.
However, studies suggest that this may not be true for most individuals as only about 25% of the total population will have dietary cholesterol sensitivity. For the remaining 75%, dietary cholesterol can have a minute effect on the levels of blood cholesterol.
This is due to the fact that a lot of the cholesterol in the blood is liver produced and when food items that are high in cholesterol are eaten, the liver can actually produce less. In addition, shrimp can provide a number of nutrients that can help improve health such as antioxidants and omega 3s
Shrimps can provide antioxidants
Shrimps contain antioxidants known as astaxanthin. This comes from algae eaten by shrimp and responsible for making shrimp cells reddish in color. Astaxanthin can aid in protecting against inflammation through the prevention of free radicals from having the cells damaged. In addition, experts believe that it can also help in the reduction of a number of chronic diseases.
Other Shrimp Louie Recipes
Below are some of the other Shrimp Louie Recipes you can try out:
- Grilled Shrimp Louie
- Crab Louie Recipe
- Crab and Shrimp Louie Salad
- Superfast Shrimp Louie Salad
- Roasted Shrimp Cocktail Louie